Going to the shops or buying what you need online sounds easy enough; however, there are some tricks you can use to make sure that you are more savvy when it comes to your shopping habits:
- Buy nothing : Many times, not buying anything at all will save you more than buying something on sale.
- Consider all your options: Instead of purchasing something new consider making it, fixing something you already own or not purchasing the item altogether as you do not really need it. If none of the above options are possible, then consider a less expensive alternative or a generic brand item that will serve the same purpose.
- Know what you want: Write things down that you need while you are at home and decide how much you are willing to spend per item before you hit the shops.
- Do your research: For larger items such as a dishwasher, computer, mobile phone etc, make sure that you do your research to find the best quality at the best price.
- Know where to find the best prices: For items that you buy routinely, such as groceries, watch out for special offer advertisements. In addition, compare prices at different stores, you might find that certain stores run regular specials on the same items or they offer regular bulk specials.
- Stock up, but be selective about what you stock up on: It does not make sense to buy items in bulk that you do not really use or that will expire soon just because it is on special. Thus, make sure that when you buy in bulk it will work out cheaper in the long run.
- Consider bargains carefully: Ask yourself if what you are buying is really a good deal, or if someone is just trying to persuade you to buy something that you do not really need.
- Earn rewards every time you shop: Did you know that you earn double points on your retail loyalty cards every time you shop with your Iemas Purchase Card? That’s not all; you also get an annual Iemas reward pay-out at the end of the year! Find out more about the Iemas Purchase Card.
More blog articles Shopping:
- The best loyalty cards in South Africa
- Top savvy shopping tips for the festive season
- Refer a purchase card friend and earn R250
- Introduce Iemas to your friends and earn R250 – do not miss out!
Adapted from: https://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Savvy-Shopper